Your thyroid is in charge of creating and producing hormones that work throughout your entire body. When your thyroid isn’t working properly, it’s known as thyroid disease, and it can affect your body in many different ways. There are several types of thyroid disease that may affect you and it’s important to work with your doctor to understand which one is bothering you so that you can get the necessary treatments needed! Your doctors at Lawndale Medical Clinic in Houston, TX, can help you understand the different types of thyroid disease and how they can affect you.
Different Types of Thyroid Disease
There are two main types of thyroid disease, known as hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. There are other conditions that can cause one or the other and both affect the way the thyroid works and affect different areas of the body. It’s important to talk to your doctor in Houston, TX, to find out which form of thyroid disease you are dealing with so that you can receive the proper treatment.
There are different conditions that cause hypothyroidism and some of these include:
- Thyroiditis- This condition is when the thyroid gland is inflamed and swollen. It can lower the amount of hormones that your thyroid can produce.
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis- This disease is painless, but is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks the thyroid. This disease is genetic and is usually inherited from a parent.
- Postpartum thyroiditis- This tends to occur in a small percentage of women after giving birth and is normally temporary.
When thinking about hyperthyroidism, there are different conditions that can cause that. Some of those include:
- Graves’ disease- With this disease, the thyroid gland may produce too many hormones and can be overactive.
- Nodules- Nodules can also be overactive and cause hyperthyroidism.
- Thyroiditis- This disorder can vary and can be very painful or completely painless.
Contact Your Doctor Today
If you have a family history of thyroid disease or think you may be dealing with it, it’s important to find out what the exact cause is so that proper treatment can be applied. Contact your doctors at Lawndale Medical Clinic in Houston, TX, to learn more about thyroid disease. Call for more information today at (713) 924-4907.